Friday, June 8, 2018

Graduation Quilt 2018

I completed this quilt in April and have gifted it to my nephew, Colin, who gradated from Charlotte Christian school this year. He's going to be going to College at Coastal Carolina which is by Myrtle Beach. It would be nice to attend college at the beach!



How this quilt started is- Colin sent me a blog photo of someone else's quilt and I sent him a link for the fat quarter colors. He wanted kind of a blue pallet, plus all solids. I just cut 9" squares from a grouping of fat quarters. Then, I sewed 1/2-square triangles. I ended up with 8 1/2" squares, trimmed up and then placed them on my "design floor". I sewed the blocks together in 9 rows and 11 columns to make a  twin-size quilt.


I followed Jacquie Gering's "WALK" book and quilted in a Cross Hatch Mashup. I think it suits this quilt and I mostly just know how to quilt with my walking foot anyway. I pieced the back from Navy blue Kona. I cut the small leftovers into 2 1/2" rectangles and sewed them into a continuous strip. I think the strip kind of breaks up all of the navy. Plus, I was kind of taking "poetic license" and adding an extra element that really wasn't asked for.


I attended his Commencement on June 2, 2018. I hope Colin enjoys his new quilt. Happy Friday!

Linking to Clever ChameleonSilly Mama Quilts

No comments:

Post a Comment