Thursday, April 4, 2019

Quilts to use for Real Life

In the beginning of my earlier quilting days, I used a very basic Singer sewing machine. I really had no clue what a "scrap quilt" was, but I loved the look of a quilt in one of my magazines. I just started purchasing different types of fabric - at Joann Fabric and I found some on ebay.



I sewed this quilt by hand by marking on the back of the pieces with an actual lead pencil and using "match points" After I pieced the entire top - twin size - I decided that I had enough "hand sewing". So I machine-quilted it on my small Singer machine that my husband purchased for me. It was tough-going, but I got it done. I did not know to change the length of my stitches. The stitches are very tight. Yikes!

Also, I did probably not know that some fabric was not really cotton. I purchased this dark blue for the narrow border. It is really an odd fabric, more like polyester and doesn't feel very nice.

This quilt really shows the wear. A couple of the seams are coming undone. 

I will not be sewing quilts using match points again. However, what is strange about this quilt, though, is that I like it. It is comfortable for me and my cat. It has been used and abused. Plus, in reality, I do want the quilts that I sew to be used and enjoyed by the people in my life. 

I am adding this link to Needle and Foot - Quilting in Real Life

3 comments:

  1. I agree that quilts should be used and this one is a pretty one even with that tight quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's used and cozy, it's not a mistake! :) I love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to go back and look at the earlier quilts that were made. It is a lovely scrap quilt and I can see why you love it!

    I was pleased to see your comment on my blog, but your settings are such that I couldn't reply to you via email, so I hope it's okay to reply here. =) We are planning on driveway camping this weekend to test things out and to make sure we have all that we need and we know how to run everything. We already figured out we don't have anything packed for Clay, our sweet 15 year old pup! We are so looking foreword to hitting some camp grounds this summer!

    ReplyDelete