Tuesday, July 28, 2020

A Virginia Tech Quilt -The Orange Effect

My nephew graduated from Virginia Tech in May; however, no commencement came about thanks to COVID-19. I had decided back in the winter to make him a quilt. I chose the Push-Pull Quilt Along by Quilting Jet Girl. And here is my finish.



It was awesome that I won a $50 gift certificate from Needle and Foot, also! Quilt-Alongs can be fun and often times, I even win something.

This quilt is very big and I quilted a wavy line up and down. It was quite the project. In looking back, I had considered sending it to a long-arm quilter. Possibly, I should have done that and it would have turned out much nicer. I guess I am hesitant to send quilts to a long-arm quilter, only because it makes me feel that I did not make the whole thing myself. Oh, well, it is definitely a usable quilt.

Here it is shown on my Queen-size bed. I am thinking that my nephew's bed does not have a foot-board so the design may show up better. The foot-board kind of takes away from the design, a little. My son said the quilt top looked cool (he has not yet seen the completed quilt), so I'll go with that. 


Here is a photo of the backing. I kind of miscalculated on the maroon yardage so I had to go back to the quilt shop for an additional yard. This photo is not showing the full top with the solid maroon. It is approximately the same size as the bottom. By the time I pieced the back, there was probably less than 2 inches on both top and bottom.

The sides were very good, but I had a hard time basting because of the shortness of the top and bottom. In the end there was just enough space that the binding fit on which I gave a huge sigh of relief.  I did the basting on one of our very hot 90-degree days and I literally had sweat pouring off of my forehead.


I have not mailed this quilt to my nephew yet. I may try to fill in a few more quilt lines just to kind of squish it down some. It seems quite puffy. In reality, it is quite heavy, also. I think it must be the batting that I used. My local JoAnn Fabric had only 2 types to choose from in the king size. I'm going to have to remember down the line to NOT buy this type of batting again. Problem is, I threw the packaging away already. Oh, well, par for the course.

I am linking to Elm Streets July Finish OMG. My original post was here.
I am glad that this one is finished. Thanks to Patty at Elm Street Quilts
This helps me stay on track with my goals.




7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your son's college graduation -- what a milestone for both of you! My oldest just wrapped up his freshman year at Appalachian State University and my youngest is about to start his senior year of high school. I'll bet the college years seem to have flown by, in hindsight. You did a great job with your son's quilt, and I know what you mean about wanting to own the whole process from start to finish. I've been tempted to send a quilt to a "professional" quilter a couple of times, and always resisted because I was afraid the quilting (that I didn't do!) would be everyone's favorite part of the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a crazy year indeed for graduations!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to your son (and you too) on his graduation. What a stunning quilt - I love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Wendy! I do love these fabrics, too!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the graduation and I am sure your nephew will love this quilt. I love this pattern by Yvonne and so much fun that you won a gift certificate from Bernie (I love her shop).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathleen! It is always fun to win something. I actually had bought the fabric for this quilt top from Bernie for the quilt along. So it was awesome to win at her shop.

      Delete
  4. Very nice! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete